This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

News

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I'm currently preparing a new release. Unfortunately Xing does not use User Ids the way I do understand User Ids - I detected some few duplicates in my contacts. So I decided to use the profile name in the future as a Xing profile identifier. Rematching should take only a minute (it took me less for about 130 contacts).

Also I did add a background worker for the sync-process, so now you are able to cancel the process and switch off image display (which does slow down the progress update).

I've replaced the Facebook connector with a web-scraping implementation to not depend on a developer key for reading the information. I started a generic base class for web-scraping with this step.

I'm thinking about a PowerShell Cmdlet to use the sync engine from PowerShell scripts, but that will be implemented later.

While moving my own sync-behaviour to using a file system base (individual xml files) instead of Microsoft Outlook as my own primary data store I found some issues and corrected them - hopefully I didn't break anything existing ... there are still much too less unit test :-(

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I've added a new solution file without the project that do need additional tools to be installed. The only required installed software with that solution file is Mocrosoft Outlook 2003 or later (for the Microsoft Outlook client).

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I've updated the Xing connector, because of a change inside the Xing contact pages. I'll fix the Facebook logon issue, soon.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Another update - I've fixed the Facebook and VZnet connectors after a change inside the structure of the friend-list urls.

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I've added exception submission to the libraries, so that file system logged exceptions caused by bugs can be sent via WCF to a central server (configured inside the app.config). You should be aware, that while the content is sent encrypted (2048 Bit RSA), this does not mean that it provides security and/or privacy: the public key is read from the server without a check for authenticity. I'm thinking about using certificates to ensure the public key is really from the system you think you communicate with - but that will take some time.

I've added the feature in order to get informed about problems with the current implementation (currently I have > 1000 downloads in total - > 150 downloads in the last 30 days, but I have been in contact with 2 users only).

The next release will contain this feature and a check if the Office COM Interop assemblies are installed - not installing them will cause problems using the sync with Outlook.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM
matzen wrote:

I've added the feature in order to get informed about problems with the current implementation (currently I have > 1000 downloads in total - > 150 downloads in the last 30 days, but I have been in contact with 2 users only)

Hi matzen

Just add another one (at least for the end user XING client :-) Thanks for the effort spend persuing this project -> much appreciated.

I've just installed your software and when replicating Outlook 2007 with XING and data wise everything works fine, however I have trouble with the images of my contacts. Unfortunately some of them got mixed up almost arbitrarily (at least I didn't find a system). What have I done (including the history):

1. Manually maintain the few contacts in Outlook 2007 neither being present in XING so far nor in company address book
  2. Every once in a while copy company address book (incl. pictures) from public folder into a subfolder in Outlook then move them into the main folder and integrate them.
  3. Use XING plugin to import contacts into subfolder, move and integrate them as well.
  4. Use your tool to sync addresses with XING by matching address entries.
  5. Viewing contacts in the 'business card' view some of the contacts show the wrong personal image

Have you observed any trouble of this kind?

Regards
MediaJunkie

P.S.: How about storing the XING birthday in the corresponding field rather than in the notes. It would remove the notes change on any replication :-)

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Hello MediaJunkie,

I've observed such a problem in the past, but I thought I've fixed the issue - that days it was a problem with saving the images from outlook, because outlook is using a single folder and a set of 100 names for temporary files while exporting images ... without deleting them until outlook is closed. I'll have a closer look at the current implementation - a new release is already scheduled, but you may have to wait another week, because I'm currently a little stressed by my day to day work.

Btw.: SemSync does use the Outlook birthday field if the full birthday (day, month and year) is available - the notes-field is used by the Xing-plugin.

Best Regards,

Sven

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Hi Sven

Good to hear, that you will try to fix the defect. I am looking forward to the new version :-)
You are right regarding birthday: the existing dates in the notes fields come from the Xing-plugin used in the past...

Regards
MediaJunkie

Coordinator
Mar 7, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I've uploaded a new release, that transfers some fixes from the Outlook 2010 connector to the connectors for Outlook 2007 and 2003. This release als does change the way the Identifiers are handled, so running this release will upgrade your baseline file. If you have many matches done manually, you might should take a backup of that file to be able to use an older version of Sem.Sync if this release does not match your needs.

This release does also include many fixes for the file system connectors and some optimizations for the matching.

Another nice additional feature introduces in this version is paging support for MeinVZ and StudiVZ - with the help of one user I was able to implement that without having enough contacts to see it while debugging - thanks!

I've included the Google API files in order to not need to download them seperately.

Coordinator
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:22 AM
  • Created a new branch for Visual Studio 2010 and .Net 4.0
  • Started FritzBox-connector using the webservice-API
  • Working on an Oracle CRM OnDemand connector, but can't tell you if it will be open source, too
  • Added ability to read contact relations from Xing, FaceBook and WerKenntWen
  • Added analysis connector to write DGML-files for the contact relations
  • Added interface to support configuration dialogs for connectors
  • Added FTP connector

As you can see: many things to do...